If you’re looking for how to delete a Facebook page, you’ve come to the right place.
Deleting a Facebook page is not as hard as it may seem, and in this article, we’ll walk you through the process step-by-step.
So whether you’ve created a page that you no longer want, or are simply having second thoughts about your current page, read on for instructions on how to delete it.
- Should you delete your Facebook page?
- How to delete a Facebook page on desktop
- How to delete a Facebook page on mobile
- Why can’t I delete a Facebook Page?
- How do I delete a page that is not mine?
- How long does it take to delete a Facebook Page?
- Why does it take 14 days to delete a Facebook page?
- Does Facebook delete pages or accounts that are inactive?
- Final thoughts on deleting a Facebook Page
Should you delete your Facebook page?
There are a number of reasons why you may be considering deleting your Facebook page. If you’re concerned about data leaks and any personal information that’s associated with your page getting released in one of these leaks, then deleting your Facebook page (and requesting Facebook delete your data as well) is possibly one of the best options for you.
If however you just no longer want your page to appear in search results, or for friends, family, employers, etc. to see the contents of your Facebook page, then deactivating your page may be a better option.
This effectively hides your page from appearing on Facebook.
If you’re not seeing the results you want from Facebook, then it may be best to either figure out what is not working or cut your losses by not investing any more time and resources and letting the Facebook page sit dormant until you can invest the energy to run a page properly.
There is no one-size-fits-all answer here, but if you want to get away from Facebook, or just delete your Facebook page, we’ll cover how to do so on desktop and mobile in the next two sections.
How to delete a Facebook page on desktop
If you are sure about deleting your Facebook page, then it is not as daunting a process as you may have thought.
To delete a Facebook page on a computer, follow these steps:
- Open Facebook and log into your account.
- From the menu on the left, select “Pages”.
- Then under “Pages you manage”, click on the page you wish to delete.
- In the menu on the left, scroll down and select “Settings”.
- You should be in the “General” section, here scroll down to the “Remove Page” option at the bottom and select “Edit”.
- Select the option “Delete YOUR PAGE NAME”.
- A pop-up will appear, if you are sure about deleting your page, select the “Delete Page?” button.
- You will then see the notice “Page entered deletion mode. You can cancel the deletion within 14 days.”. Select OK.
Be aware that Facebook will hold onto the Facebook Page for 14 days in case you change your mind.
If you do change your mind, navigate to the page settings (by following the same steps as above) and select the “Cancel Deletion.” option from the warning banner at the top of the page.
You only have 14 days to do this, so only delete your Page if you are sure.
You can also download all of the page content prior to deleting your page for your records in the General settings section.
How to delete a Facebook page on mobile
If you do not have access to a desktop device, you can also delete a Facebook page using a mobile device, like an android smartphone, iPhone, or iPad.
This is how to delete a Facebook page using a mobile device:
- Open the Facebook app and log into your account.
- Select the hamburger menu in the top right (3 lines or dots).
- Scroll down and select “Pages”.
- Under “Pages You Manage” select the page you want to remove.
- In the top right, select the “gear/settings” icon.
- In the settings menu, select “General” at the top.
- Scroll down to the “Remove Page” section and select “Delete YOUR PAGE NAME?”
- Here you will be prompted that it will be unpublished for 14 days and you can restore it if within that time period. If you wish to continue with deleting your Facebook page then select the “Delete Page” button.
- You will then see a notice that the page has entered deletion mode and you have 14 days to cancel the deletion. After the 14 days have passed, your Facebook page will be permanently deleted.
Why can’t I delete a Facebook Page?
Only users with administration rights can delete or remove a Facebook page.
If you do not have administration rights you won’t be able to access most of the Facebook page settings and the delete option will not be available.
You can look in the “page roles” tab to see what rights you have and which Facebook users are administrators of the page.
If you’re not an admin, you can reach out to these users to make you an admin or ask them to delete the Facebook page on your behalf.
How do I delete a page that is not mine?
Facebook pages are often impersonated for malicious reasons, such as gaining access to personal information through phishing links or attempting to scam people in other ways.
Or these pages are used as a way to make a quick buck by selling merchandise by leveraging the popularity of celebrities and popular businesses.
If you come across a page that is not yours but is impersonating you or your business, and you want to delete it, you can contact Facebook directly to report the page. Facebook will then investigate and take appropriate action.
- First, navigate to the page you want to delete.
- At the top of the page, on the right, select the 3 dots to open a drop-down menu.
- Select “Find support or report Page”.
- Select “Scams and fake pages”.
- Now select the most appropriate options, i.e. “Pretending to be another business”.
- Then select next and fill out the required information. I.e. “Which business or person is this Page pretending to be?”
- Once filled out, select “Send”.
How long does it take to delete a Facebook Page?
After submitting the page to be removed it will no longer be visible on Facebook, so people searching for it will not be able to find it.
But Facebook will hold on to the page and all of the information for 14 days in case you change your mind to restore the page.
Be aware that after 14 days it will be gone forever, so make really sure to download or copy any important posts you may want to hold onto for future use.
Why does it take 14 days to delete a Facebook page?
There is a hold period of 14 days before you can delete your Facebook page permanently to ensure that you haven’t deleted your page out of haste or by accident.
This also prevents someone from hacking into your account and deleting your Facebook page. Or even a friend that knows your password deleting your Facebook page without you knowing.
The 14 days should be enough time for you to realize any potential errors, or if you reconsider deleting your page.
Does Facebook delete pages or accounts that are inactive?
No, Facebook does not delete inactive pages or accounts. In order to delete a Facebook page, you need to actively choose to delete and remove it.
A Facebook account and page can lie dormant indefinitely on Facebook.
Final thoughts on deleting a Facebook Page
The choice to delete a Facebook page is permanent and irreversible.
Once you click the delete button, however, you have 14 days to cancel the deletion if necessary or if your account was hacked.
If circumstances change and you want to re-activate your Facebook Page at any point in time, you will have to start from scratch, as all of the posts and your Facebook followers will be removed from your page when the page deletion is completed.
This is important to keep in mind if you ever plan on using your page again, alternatively, you can choose to unpublish your page instead.
You’re able to unpublish your page for any length of time, which will make it invisible to Facebook users while retaining all of the content on the page so you can republish it again at a later date if you so wish.
We hope this article has been helpful in showing you how to delete a Facebook Page if you feel that’s the right choice to make.