Journaling is a great way to teach kids to write well and provides an excellent platform for practicing writing and communication skills.
Creative thinking, imagination, story-telling, and critical thinking are all skills that kids can practice through journaling.
Let’s explore some fun and creative journal prompts for kids to help them practice writing and develop these essential skills.
15 Fun Journal Prompts For Kids
Every journal should be fun. The skills that are associated with good writing skills can be effectively practiced in a fun and interesting ways, and fun journal prompts are some of the best ways to encourage all kids to engage and practice journaling.
Some fun journal prompts for kids include:
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be, and why?
- If you could have any wild animal as a pet, real or fictional, which would you choose?
- If you could travel to any country in the world, where would you go?
- What is the best way to spend a rainy day?
- What is the funniest joke you can think of?
- What is the best type of food in the world?
- What is the most interesting sea creature you know of?
- If you could have an unlimited supply of anything, what would it be?
- If you could be in any movie, which would you choose?
- What is your favorite thing in the whole world?
- What is the craziest story you know?
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite board game to play, and why?
- Can you imagine a new color?
- What would it be like to be a scientist?
12 Creative Writing Journal Prompts For Kids
Creative writing journal prompts for kids promote creative thinking and creative writing. These prompts are designed to encourage kids to think in creative ways and explore their imagination.
Writing in a journal is an excellent way to promote these skills and helps kids to learn how to write creatively at a higher level.
Some creative writing journal prompts for kids include:
- Write a short story about an animal with superpowers
- Write a poem about eating vegetables
- Write a short story about a superhero that you invented
- Write a short story about your pet as a detective
- Write two pages about what it might be like to live under the sea
- Write a story about an astronaut
- Write a poem about different ice cream flavors
- Write a short story about a vacation at the beach
- Write a story about exploring a planet in outer space
- Write a story about an unlikely hero
- Write a paragraph about a new discovery
- Write a news article about a scientist
12 Encouraging Journal Prompts For Kids
Encouraging journal prompts are designed to help build healthy self-esteem in kids and encourage kids to write about positive things, which promotes a healthy and positive outlook on life. This is a great way to use a journal.
Some encouraging journal prompts for kids include:
- What are the things that you like about yourself?
- What is your greatest accomplishment?
- What are five good things about where you live?
- What is a good thing that you did today?
- What are your talents?
- What is your favorite outfit?
- How do you handle tough situations?
- What is your favorite thing about school?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What are your favorite things about your family?
- What do your friends like about you?
- Which school subject are you best at, and why?
12 Future Journal Prompts For Kids
Future-focused journaling prompts for kids help them to dream about the future in a healthy and constructive way.
These can be thought of as journal prompts for manifestation, so they can contemplate the type of life they want to have, but it can also positively affect their happiness.
Developing a positive outlook on the future is important for all kids, and dreaming about what the future holds is an excellent way for kids to become inspired.
Some future-focused journal prompts for kids include:
- What do you want to be or do when you grow up?
- What is your dream job?
- What does your dream house look like?
- What are you most excited about in the future?
- What do you think future technology will be like?
- Which country would you like to visit in the future?
- What are you looking forward to for tomorrow?
- What do you think your life will be like ten years from now?
- What car would you like to drive when you grow up?
- Where would you like to live when you grow up?
- What will you do next weekend to make the days fun?
- What makes you think about the future?
15 Story Journal Prompts For Kids
Story prompts are more than creative writing prompts. These prompts are ideal for kids who need to develop their communication skills as well as their writing skills.
Learning to write stories is an excellent way to express feelings and emotions and a great way to remember current events that happen in daily life, which makes this an important aspect of journaling for kids.
Some story journal prompts for kids include:
- Write a story about your friends from school
- Write a story about a secret agent
- Write a story about yesterday
- Write a story about your life
- Write a true story about a historical event
- Write a story about your favorite animals and where the animal lives
- Write a story about a shark and what it eats
- Write a story about life in medieval life
- Write a story about your parents
- Write a story about a race car driver
- Write a story about your favorite movie character
- Write a story about a living creature
- Write a story about a chef
- Write a story about your best friend
- Write a story about living on another planet